Series: Giving My Time, Talents and Treasures to God 1 Peter 4:7–11 (HCSB)
Giving My Talents and Treasures to God
I give my TALENTS to be used by God…
- BECAUSE TIME IS SHORT (4:7)
- I can’t afford to waste my talents when the clock is ticking.
- Effective use of my talents demands discipline.
- BECAUSE OF HIS COMMAND TO LOVE OTHERS (4:8-9)
- Genuine love must be our motive and it makes up for our failures.
- Learning to serve God without complaining brings glory to Him.
- BECAUSE IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT ME, IT’S ABOUT SERVING OTHERS (4:10-11)
- We have been given the talents and gifts we have to be used for the benefit of others.
- We are therefore stewards or managers of the talents God has given us.
- BECAUSE HE RECEIVES THE GLORY AND POWER (4:11d)
- When we are dependent on His strength, He gets the glory.
- When I give my talents and gifts to God, He receives the glory.
Romans 11:36 (HCSB) 36 For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.
Luke 12:13–34 (HCSB)
I give my TREASURES to be used by God…
- BECAUSE THE GREATEST DETERRENT TO GENEROSITY IS GREED (12:13-21)
- We have to watch out for greed.
- If we are not careful, the things we own will own us.
- BECAUSE IT LETS ME SPEND LESS TIME WORRYING ABOUT MY STUFF AND MORE TIME TRUSTING GOD (12:22-30)
- Don’t allow worry to overshadow your trust in God to provide.
- Understand how much you matter to God.
- BECAUSE IT ALLOWS ME TO ALIGN MY PRIORITIES WITH HIS (12:31-34)
- Place His Kingdom as a priority and God will provide for you.
- Store up treasures in heaven and you’ll always be rich.
- Whatever gets your heart gets you.
When I give my talents to God, He is able to use them for His glory. I learn to become others-centric and genuinely love others. When I give my treasures to God I can overcome the tendency toward greed and learn to align my priorities with His.