LIVING WITH HOPE MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”
1 Peter 1:3-5 (NASB) The world generally speaks of hope in terms of what one would more properly call :wishful thinking.”
On the other hand, the biblical definition is confident expectation.
1. GOD’S MERCY PROVIDES US WITH OUR HOPE
“… who according to His great mercy …”
- Another word for mercy is: “loving-kindness.”
- The word “blessed” here is from the Greek word from which we get our English word eulogy. Literally it means “well spoken word.”
2. THE NEW BIRTH ENABLES US TO EXPERIENCE OUR HOPE
“According to His abundant mercy He has begotten us again & given us new birth unto a living hope.”
- The new birth refers to the act whereby God takes a dead, hell bound, hell deserving sinner and births into him life that is new, free, forgiven and forever.
3. A GLORIOUS INHERITANCE IS THE ULTIMATE RESULT OF OUR HOPE
“…unto an inheritance…”
- Imperishable: speaks of its certainty.
- Undefiled: This word speaks to the quality of our inheritance.
- Unfading: Peter says it will not fade away. This speaks of its durability.
- Reserved in heaven: safe because it is held by the power of God.
4. GOD’S POWER PROVIDES FOR THE ASSURANCE OF OUR HOPE
“… kept by the power of God…”
- The power referred to is found in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- Indeed, living with hope makes all the difference in the world!