Pastor Montia Setzler – February 1, 2015
Series: Discovering the Life Changing Gospel
The Ministry of the Holy Spirit
John 15:26–16:15 (HCSB)
26 “When the Counselor comes, the One I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father—He will testify about Me. 27 You also will testify, because you have been with Me from the beginning. 1 “I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling. 2 They will ban you from the synagogues. In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3 They will do these things because they haven’t known the Father or Me. 4 But I have told you these things so that when their time comes you may remember I told them to you. I didn’t tell you these things from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 “But now I am going away to Him who sent Me, and not one of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 Yet, because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don’t go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send Him to you. 8 When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: 9 About sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; 11 and about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. 12 “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, because He will take from what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 Everything the Father has is Mine. This is why I told you that He takes from what is Mine and will declare it to you.”
1. THE HOLY SPIRIT’S POWER TO SHARE THE GOSPEL (15:26-27)
• Just as Christ came to glorify the Father, not Himself, so the Spirit comes to glorify and testify about the Son.
• Our relationship with Christ compels us to testify about Him.
2. THE WORLD’S TREATMENT OF HIS DISCIPLES (16:1-4)
• Jesus continues to prepare His disciples for their persecution.
• As His disciples today we must be prepared for how the World will treat us.
3. THE REALITY OF JESUS’ DEPARTURE (16:5-7)
• His departure signaled Jesus’ finished work of atonement.
• His departure guaranteed the coming of the Holy Spirit.
4. THE HOLY SPIRIT PROVIDES CONVICTION TO BELIEVERS AND NON-BELIEVERS ALIKE (16:8-12)
The Holy Spirit brings conviction:
• About sin
• About righteousness
• About judgment
5. THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDES US INTO ALL TRUTH (16:13-15)
• The Holy Spirit was left for us to understand why Jesus came.
• The Holy Spirit was left for us to understand what is about to come.
• The Holy Spirit is still present so that we can teach others about Jesus.
The Holy Spirit comes to give testimony about Jesus; empowering us to do the same. The ministry of the Spirit also brings conviction while simultaneously guiding us into all truth.