Pastor Montia Setzler – February 8, 2015
Series: Giving My Time, Talents and Treasures to God
Giving My Time to God
Romans 13:8–14 (HCSB)
8 Do not owe anyone anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments: Do not commit adultery; do not murder; do not steal; do not covet; and whatever other commandment—all are summed up by this: Love your neighbor as yourself. 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Love, therefore, is the fulfillment of the law. 11 Besides this, knowing the time, it is already the hour for you to wake up from sleep, for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over, and the daylight is near, so let us discard the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk with decency, as in the daylight: not in carousing and drunkenness; not in sexual impurity and promiscuity; not in quarreling and jealousy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no plans to satisfy the fleshly desires.
1. I AM ACCOUNTABLE WITH MY TIME SPENT LOVING OTHERS. (13:8-10)
• Loving others should be viewed like it is a debt to be repaid.
• Many of the Ten Commandments can be summed up by loving others.
• Jesus fulfilled the Law by demonstrating His love for others.
2. I AM ACCOUNTABLE TO WAKE UP BECAUSE MY TIME IS SHORT. (13:11)
• We must be accountable with the time we have and understanding the times.
• We must wake up from any spiritual stupor and realize that we will give an account for our choices.
• We recognize the urgency of our accountability because His return is nearer than ever before.
• Therefore, the completion of our salvation could be any time now.
Hebrews 9:28 (HCSB)
28 …so also the Messiah, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him.
3. I AM ACCOUNTABLE TO THE URGENCY TO VALUE MY TIME. (13:12-14)
• I must understand that time is short.
• I must no longer use my time for deeds of darkness.
• I must use my time to put on the armor of light.
We all have the same amount of time, but we do not all use it in the most accountable way. I must choose to be accountable with my time to love others, put away the darkness and put on His light. There is an urgency to this mandate, time is running out.