Dr. Montia Setzler, Senior Pastor
June 12, 2016
Objections: Answers to the Most Common Objections to Christianity
Creation Is a Myth
Genesis 1:1 – 2:3 (all scripture – HCSB)
Common Objection: What about evolution? Couldn’t God have created us but used evolution to do it?
A. THE PROBLEM WITH EVOLUTION:
#1 If the theory of evolution was true, we should have discovered millions upon millions of transitional fossils by now.
#2 If the theory of evolution was true, then we should see an “evolutionary tree” in the fossil record, with complex life developing very slowly from earlier, less complex forms. Instead, what we do see in the fossil record is the very sudden appearance of fully-formed and fully-functional complex life.
B. THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS TAUGHT AS FACT, BUT IS CONTRARY TO KNOWN SCIENTIFIC FACT.
(1) Macro Evolution:
(2) Micro Evolution:
C. EVOLUTION CANNOT ACCOUNT FOR THE AMAZING COMPLEXITY OF THE HUMAN BODY.
D. THE REAL ISSUE IS NOT SCIENCE–IT’S A “HEART” ISSUE
E. THE BIBLICAL ACCOUNT OF CREATION IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.
So let’s look at the Bible and discover what it says about creation.
Genesis 1:1–2:3 (HCSB)
- GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE IN SIX DAYS THEN RESTED.
- BOTH CREATIONISTS AND EVOLUTIONIST MUST HAVE FAITH TO BELIEVE IN THEIR VIEW OF THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE.
- CREATION IS NOT A MYTH, BUT IS THE MOST REASONABLE EXPLANATION OF ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE.
- JESUS AND THOSE CLOSEST TO HIM UNDERSTOOD AND BELIEVED IN THE GENESIS ACCOUNT.
Mark 13:19; Luke 17:26–27; John 1:1–3; 2 Peter 3:3–7
- NOT ALL SCIENCE IS BAD, BUT THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS BAD SCIENCE.
- THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION CHALLENGES GOD AS CREATOR AND SAVIOR.
Isaiah 44:24; Colossians 1:16–20; Romans 11:36
- If Supernatural Creation did not occur, then Jesus is not Creator, man is not a special creation of God, and therefore, Jesus is not needed as a Redeemer.
- It’s no surprise that the battle for the minds of the next generation is being waged at the point of creation.
- IN THE END, ALL CREATION WILL GIVE GLORY AND HONOR TO THE CREATOR.
Revelation 4:9–11 (HCSB)