October 5, 2014
1. THE COUNTDOWN TO THE CROSS BEGINS—IT’S ALL ABOUT TIMING
- For some time now, the Jews were plotting to kill Jesus.
- The time is right for Jesus to keep His appointment with the cross.
- The people were looking for a conquering king to end their misery.
2. MORE PROPHESIES WERE BEING FULFILLED WITH EACH STEP
- The people were shouting Hosanna and quoting Psalms 118:26.
Psalm 118:26 (HCSB) 26 He who comes in the name of the Lord is blessed. From the house of the Lord we bless you.
Rather than arriving as a victor on a white horse, Jesus enters Jerusalem in humility on a donkey colt in fulfillment of Zech. 9:9.
Zechariah 9:9 (HCSB) 9 Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout in triumph, Daughter Jerusalem! Look, your King is coming to you; He is righteous and victorious, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
3. THE DISCIPLES DID NOT UNDERSTAND, BUT WOULD SOON ENOUGH
- The disciples were so concerned about protecting Jesus, they missed the significance of the moment.
- Hindsight vision is always 20/20.
- The disciples lacked the perspective of the Cross and the Resurrection.
4. THE PLOT TO KILL JESUS HAD TO BE POSTPONED
- The plot to kill Jesus had to be postponed because of the Passover crowds.
Mark 14:1–2 (HCSB) 1 After two days it was the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread. The chief priests and the scribes were looking for a treacherous way to arrest and kill Him. 2 “Not during the festival,” they said, “or there may be rioting among the people.”
The irony of the Pharisees view that “the world has gone after Him” was that most people did not believe in Jesus.
On more than one occasion, the Jews attempted to kill Jesus, but the time was not right. Now, countdown to the Cross begins and Jesus went boldly and willingly to His appointment with destiny.