December 7, 2014
Series: Discovering the Life Changing Gospel
The Powerful Presence of the Trinity
John 14:15–26 (HCSB)
15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. 17 He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will see Me no longer, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live too. 20 In that day you will know that I am in My Father, you are in Me, and I am in you. 21 The one who has My commands and keeps them is the one who loves Me. And the one who loves Me will be loved by My Father. I also will love him and will reveal Myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it You’re going to reveal Yourself to us and not to the world?” 23 Jesus answered, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 The one who doesn’t love Me will not keep My words. The word that you hear is not Mine but is from the Father who sent Me. 25 I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit —the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.”
- THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (14:15-17)
- Genuine love produces genuine obedience.
1 John 2:3–5 (HCSB)
3“This is how we are sure that we have come to know Him: by keeping His commands. 4The one who says, ‘I have come to know Him,’ yet doesn’t keep His commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But whoever keeps His word, truly in him the love of God is perfected. This is how we know we are in Him…”
- God insures that we will never be without His presence.
- The Holy Spirit is only available to believers.
Romans 8:9 (HCSB)
9You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
- THE PRESENCE OF THE SON (14:18-20)
- While Jesus left this earth, He did not leave us alone and promises to return.
- The world would see His crucifixion, believers would see His resurrection.
- Immanuel (God is with us) promises never to leave us.
Matthew 28:20b (HCSB)
20 “…and remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Galatians 2:20 (HCSB)
20 …and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
- THE PRESENCE OF THE FATHER (14:21-26)
- Jesus reinforces the importance of obedience as the key to demonstrating our love for Him.
- Keeping God’s Word (commands) is what allows God to dwell in us.
- The Father will make sure that the Holy Spirit will teach and remind us that which we have been told in His Word.
When we love Jesus and keep His commands there is a promise of the indwelling of the Godhead in our lives. While we wait for Jesus’ return, the Holy Spirit dwells in us, communicating with the Father and Son at all times and teaching us His Word.