Tony Rodriguez, Associate Pastor
May 22, 2016
The Overcoming Life
1 John 4:1-4, 18; 5:1-4
1 John 4:1-4 NIV
“Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. 4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
- There are no born losers in God’s family. John 16:33
- We face three powerful enemies.
- But nevertheless, we can overcome.
Overcome: (1) to get the better of; (2) to gain the superiority
Conquer: to gain mastery over or win by overcoming obstacles or opposition
- OVERCOMING OUR ADVERSARIES 1 John 4:1-4
- Our spiritual adversaries are always active.
- Our Adversaries are deceptive and powerful.
How are we able to overcome these powerful adversaries?
- By the power of the Holy Spirit – John 14:16-17
- By honoring God with our body (life) – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- OVERCOMING OUR ANXIETIES 1 John 4:18
Anxiety: painful or apprehensive uneasiness of mind usually over an impending or anticipated illness
1 John 4:18 NKJV
“There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.”
A.“There is no fear in love…” v 4:18a
- Responding to God’s love brings faith.
- Faith and fear are opposites.
B. “….but perfect love casts out fear” v 4:18b
- Knowing we are loved makes us unafraid.
- Saving love is also keeping (to preserve)
Psalm 37:17 Psalm119:117 Isaiah 42:6
C. god’s perfect love brings tranquility.
Psalm 91:1-2 2 Timothy 1:7
- OVERCOMING THE WORLD’S ALLUREMENTS 1 John:5:1-4
1 John 5:1-4 NKJV
“Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith.”
- We are born again through Faith in Christ. v 1
- New Birth equips us to overcome. 2 Corinthians 5:17
1 John 2:16-17 NKJV
“For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life – is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”
The world holds many allurements but our faith
is the victory that overcomes the world.