Series: Discovering the Life Changing Gospel
The Moment of Truth
John 17:6–19 (HCSB)
6 I have revealed Your name to the men You gave Me from the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they know that all things You have given to Me are from You, 8 because the words that You gave Me, I have given them. They have received them and have known for certain that I came from You. They have believed that You sent Me. 9 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world but for those You have given Me, because they are Yours. 10 Everything I have is Yours, and everything You have is Mine, and I have been glorified in them. 11 I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, protect them by Your name that You have given Me, so that they may be one as We are one.
12 While I was with them, I was protecting them by Your name that You have given Me. I guarded them and not one of them is lost, except the son of destruction, so that the Scripture may be fulfilled. 13 Now I am coming to You, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have My joy completed in them. 14 I have given them Your word. The world hated them because they are not of the world, as I am not of the world. 15 I am not praying that You take them out of the world but that You protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 I sanctify Myself for them, so they also may be sanctified by the truth.
- I MUST BE A GOOD STEWARD OF WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED. (17:6-10)
- Jesus understood the impact and the stewardship of having the disciples follow Him.
- Jesus poured His life into His disciples to prepare them for the moment.
- I must understand the stewardship of all the Father has given me.
- I ACCEPT THE PROTECTION THAT I HAVE BEEN GIVEN. (17:11-13)
- Jesus sees the reality of the Cross, Resurrection and Ascension before they happened.
- Jesus desires that His disciples be protected when He is gone as when He was with them.
- My joy can be complete because I know the Lord is always protecting me.
- I PREPARE MYSELF TO BE IN THIS WORLD, BUT NOT OF THIS WORLD. (17:14-19)
- Because Jesus prepared His disciples with the Word of God, the world hated them.
- Jesus trained His disciples in how to impact the world without being impacted by the world.
- I am made holy, not by my actions and deeds, but by the truth of God’s Word.
- I have a mission to accomplish in the world while I am here.
Jesus’ prayer for His disciples was powerful and personal. All that He came to do would be completed in the next few days. He had prepared His disciples for this moment, now they would carry on the mission. 2000 years later, the baton has been handed to us.