September 6, 2015
Dr. Montia Setzler, Senior Pastor
Series: Stand Strong
The Faithfulness of God
Psalm 36:5–12 (HCSB)
5 LORD, Your faithful love reaches to heaven, Your faithfulness to the clouds. 6 Your righteousness is like the highest mountains; Your judgments, like the deepest sea. LORD, You preserve man and beast. 7 God, Your faithful love is so valuable that people take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. 8 They are filled from the abundance of Your house; You let them drink from Your refreshing stream, 9 for with You is life’s fountain. In Your light we will see light. 10 Spread Your faithful love over those who know You, and Your righteousness over the upright in heart. 11 Do not let the foot of the arrogant man come near me or the hand of the wicked one drive me away. 12 There the evildoers fall; they have been thrown down and cannot rise.
1. GOD’S FAITHFULNESS HAS NO LIMITS. (vv 36:5-6)
- • God’s trustworthiness is without boundaries.
Psalm 57:10–11 (HCSB)
10 For Your faithful love is as high as the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches the clouds. 11 God, be exalted above the heavens; let Your glory be over the whole earth.
- • We can trust in Him when there is no limit to His faithfulness.
2. GOD’S FAITHFULNESS PROVIDES OUR PROTECTION. (vv 36:7-9)
- • When we find ourselves in trouble, we can run to Him for protection.
Matthew 23:37 (HCSB)
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem! She who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her. How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, yet you were not willing!”
Psalm 17:8 (HCSB)
8 Protect me as the pupil of Your eye; hide me in the shadow of Your wings.
- •God’s protection is coupled with His provision.
3. GOD’S FAITHFULNESS IS RECOGNIZED BY HIS FOLLOWERS. (vv 36:10)
- • God’s faithfulness is abundant and visible, but we must recognize it.
- • God’s love shapes us into the people He wants us to become.
Psalm 100:5 (HCSB)
5 For Yahweh is good, and His love is eternal; His faithfulness endures through all generations.
4. GOD’S FAITHFULNESS BLOCKS THE WICKED FROM HIS FOLLOWERS. (vv 36:11-12)
- • Our enemy seeks to dominate us at every turn.
- • God’s faithful love makes it possible to overcome wickedness.
Proverbs 24:16 (HCSB)
16 Though a righteous man falls seven times, he will get up, but the wicked will stumble into ruin.
God’s faithful love for us has no limits. He provides for us and protects us from the wicked. This does not mean we go through life trouble free, but it does mean we do not go through life alone.