May 31, 2015
Title: Teach Them to OBEY: not just another four letter word
Text: Matthew 28:16 – 20 The Great Commission
Introduction: We are living in an environment that is increasingly hostile toward Christianity. Similarities between the first and twenty-first centuries.
16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
The Disciples Doubt (vv. 16-17)
- Not the Apostles!? There must have been other disciples present.
Jesus’ Authority (v. 18)
- All authority everywhere
- What are the disciples commanded to do? (vv. 19 – 20)
- Make Disciples
- JESUS NEVER SAID, “GET PEOPLE FROM ALL NATIONS TO PRAY A PRAYER, TAKE A PUBLIC BATH, AND COME TO CHURCH ONCE A WEEK.
- Disciples are those who hear, understand, and obey Jesus’ teaching.
- Who are they commanded to disciple?
- All nations
- Not political demarcation. The Bible is not saying that we need to make Not political demarcation. of every country. We are to disciple every people group.
“After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” (Revelation 7:9 – 10)
- How are they to disciple all nations?
- Going – as you are living your life, make disciples
- Baptizing – in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit
- Teaching – to obey, observe, do everything I have commanded you
o Is teaching information the same as teaching to obey?
o How can we teach to obey? The example of Jesus.
- The promise
- I will always be with you to the end of the age