Dr. Montia Setzler, Lead Pastor
September 25, 2016
Series: Enduring Grace – Hope
Setting Our Hope on God’s Grace
1 Peter 1:13–21 (HCSB)
Therefore, with your minds ready for action, be serious and set your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires of your former ignorance. 15 But as the One who called you is holy, you also are to be holy in all your conduct; 16 for it is written, Be holy, because I am holy. 17 And if you address as Father the One who judges impartially based on each one’s work, you are to conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your temporary residence. 18 For you know that you were redeemed from your empty way of life inherited from the fathers, not with perishable things like silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish. 20 He was chosen before the foundation of the world but was revealed at the end of the times for you 21 who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
- WE SET OUR HOPE ON GOD’S GRACE WITH HOLINESS vv 1:13-16
Two commands are given:
- Set your hope on the grace brought to you – How?
- With a prepared mind
- With self-control
- Be Holy – How?
- Not conforming to evil desires
Our response to God’s grace:
- Absolute and complete obedience!
- WE RESPECT THE HIGH COST OF GOD’S GRACE WITH FEAR AND WONDER vv 1:17-21
- We are just passing through this world; we must fear God. v 17
- The price of our salvation was not purchased with the world’s currency. v 18
- The price of our salvation was the blood of Christ. v 19
- God planned the provision of our salvation before the beginning of time. vv 20-21
In light of this revelation, what now?
- Set your hope on the grace God has provided.
- Be holy!
- Firmly put your faith and hope in God.
Your assignment for the week:
In order to set your hope on the grace brought to you, what is the one thing you could change this week, that would move you closer to being holy?
Your declaration for the week:
To move toward holiness this week, I will
Our response to the grace of God is to be holy as He is holy. This produces a fear of God as we recognize the cost of our salvation which He planned before the beginning of time.