RJ McCauley, Student Ministries Pastor
July 3, 2016
Objections: Answers to the Most Common Objections to Christianity
Jesus Is Not the Only Way to Heaven
Common Objections: Aren’t there many roads to heaven? Don’t all paths lead to the same place?
John 14:1-6 (ESV)
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
I. Many people argue that there are multiple roads that lead to heaven and that all paths of spirituality lead to the same place. Unfortunately, this cannot be true because every religion contradicts one another.
II According to the Gospel of John, Jesus emphatically taught that He is the only way to heaven because He is the only one who can provide salvation. (John 3:14-17, 36; 6:40, 47; 8:31-32; 10:28-30; 11:25-26; 17:3; 18:37)
III According to the book of Acts, the Apostles also taught that Jesus was the only way to heaven. (Acts 4:12)
A. Four reasons to reject the belief that all roads lead to heaven:
- It’s a contradictory assertion to suggest that every religion can be true.
- It’s a logical impossibility for every religion to have the same destination.
- It’s political correctness to imply that all religious viewpoints can coexist.
- It’s unmistakably clear that the Bible teaches the exclusivity of the gospel.
B. Why is Jesus the only way to heaven?
- Because He is the only true and living God. vv 1 John 5:13, 20
- Because He is the only true remedy for sinful humanity. vv Luke 5:31-32
- Because He is the only true provision for our redemption. vv Hebrews 8:6; 9:12
Jesus is the only way to heaven. He came into the world to show us the truth in order for us to receive everlasting life.