October 11, 2015
Dr. Montia Setzler, Senior Pastor
Series: Stand Strong
Do All Roads Lead to Heaven?
Matthew 7:13–14 (HCSB)
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the road is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. 14 How narrow is the gate and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it.”
1. DO ALL ROADS LEAD TO HEAVEN?
- • The road to destruction is wide and well-traveled.
- o It is paved with good intentions.
- o It is populated with those wanting to take the easy route.
- o It is perpetuated by our enemy who hates us.
- • The road to life is narrow and few find it.
Luke 13:23–25 (HCSB)
23 “Lord,” someone asked Him, “are there few being saved?” He said to them, 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because I tell you, many will try to enter and won’t be able 25 once the homeowner gets up and shuts the door. Then you will stand outside and knock on the door, saying, ‘Lord, open up for us!’ He will answer you, ‘I don’t know you or where you’re from.’”
- • Take the narrow road, but know it will not be easy.
Matthew 16:24 (HCSB)
Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me.”
2. HOW DO WE GET TO HEAVEN?
- • We must recognize heaven is a place of holiness.
- • We must acknowledge that we are sinners and repent.
- • We must confess that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven.
- • We must accept the gift of salvation He offers and surrender to Jesus as Lord.
3. WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO NEVER HEAR ABOUT HEAVEN?
- • We know that there is a knowledge of God in every man.
Romans 1:20 (HCSB)
For His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.
- • We know that God has demonstrated His love for the world.
John 3:16 (HCSB)
“For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.”
- • We know that God is fair and just.
Deuteronomy 32:3–4 (HCSB)
3 For I will proclaim Yahweh’s name. Declare the greatness of our God! 4 The Rock —His work is perfect; all His ways are entirely just. A faithful God, without prejudice, He is righteous and true.
- • We know that God desires that all be saved.
1 Timothy 2:3–4 (HCSB)
3 This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2 Peter 3:9 (HCSB)
The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance.
- • We know that salvation comes only through Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:12 (HCSB)
“There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people, and we must be saved by it.”
John 14:6 (HCSB)
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
God has prepared a place for us to live with Him forever, but not everyone will be there. We must choose the narrow path He provides for us so that we can spend eternity with Him in heaven.