Dr. Montia Setzler, Senior Pastor
May 8, 2016
Series: It’s Your Serve
A Noble Mother Who Serves
Proverbs 31:10–31 (HCSB)
10 Who can find a capable wife? She is far more precious than jewels. 11 The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will not lack anything good. 12 She rewards him with good, not evil, all the days of her life. 13 She selects wool and flax and works with willing hands. 14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from far away. 15 She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household and portions for her female servants. 16 She evaluates a field and buys it; she plants a vineyard with her earnings. 17 She draws on her strength and reveals that her arms are strong. 18 She sees that her profits are good, and her lamp never goes out at night. 19 She extends her hands to the spinning staff, and her hands hold the spindle. 20 Her hands reach out to the poor, and she extends her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid for her household when it snows, for all in her household are doubly clothed. 22 She makes her own bed coverings; her clothing is fine linen and purple. 23 Her husband is known at the city gates, where he sits among the elders of the land. 24 She makes and sells linen garments; she delivers belts to the merchants. 25 Strength and honor are her clothing, and she can laugh at the time to come. 26 She opens her mouth with wisdom and loving instruction is on her tongue. 27 She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle. 28 Her sons rise up and call her blessed. Her husband also praises her: 29 “Many women are capable, but you surpass them all!” 30 Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised. 31 Give her the reward of her labor, and let her works praise her at the city gates.
- A NOBLE MOTHER SERVES HER MARRIAGE
- Her husband values v 10
- Her husband trusts her. v 11
- Her husband knows she helps him. v 12
- A NOBLE MOTHER SERVES HER FAMILY
- She works tirelessly to provide for her family.
- She is industrious and contributes to her family.
vv 16-19; 21-22
- Her children and husband praise her for all that she does. vv 27-29
- A NOBLE MOTHER SERVES HER COMMUNITY
- A noble woman reaches out to the poor. v 20
- A noble woman has an impact on the community. v 23
- A noble woman is recognized for her service to the community. vv 24-26
- A NOBLE MOTHER SERVES HER LORD
- This woman has a deep love for God. v 30
- A noble woman will receive from God the reward she deserves. v 31
The ideal mother found in this poem in Proverbs, gives every woman a picture of what a godly woman looks like. The characteristics and behavior of this noble woman toward her Lord, husband, children and community set the bar for us all.