Series: Discovering the Life Changing Gospel
John 12:37–50 (HCSB)
37 Even though He had performed so many signs in their presence, they did not believe in Him. 38 But this was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet, who said: Lord, who has believed our message? And who has the arm of the Lord been revealed to? 39 This is why they were unable to believe, because Isaiah also said: 40 He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, so that they would not see with their eyes or understand with their hearts, and be converted, and I would heal them. 41 Isaiah said these things because he saw His glory and spoke about Him. 42 Nevertheless, many did believe in Him even among the rulers, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, so they would not be banned from the synagogue. 43 For they loved praise from men more than praise from God. 44 Then Jesus cried out, “The one who believes in Me believes not in Me, but in Him who sent Me. 45 And the one who sees Me sees Him who sent Me. 46 I have come as a light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me would not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears My words and doesn’t keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects Me and doesn’t accept My sayings has this as his judge: The word I have spoken will judge him on the last day. 49 For I have not spoken on My own, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a command as to what I should say and what I should speak. 50 I know that His command is eternal life. So the things that I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”
1. THE MINISTRY OF JESUS WOULD HAVE ITS DOUBTERS (12:37-43)
- In spite of overwhelming proof, many did not believe in Jesus.
- This unbelief was prophesied and did not take the Lord by surprise. (Isaiah 53:1, 6:10)
Romans 10:16 (HCSB)
16 But all did not obey the gospel. For Isaiah says, Lord, who has believed our message?
- Israel’s hardened heart was a part of God’s sovereign plan but it was not separated from human responsibility and culpability.
John 8:24 (HCSB)
“24 Therefore I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
2. THE MINISTRY OF JESUS SUMMARIZED (12:44-50)
- Jesus was sent by the Father with a mission in mind. vv. 44-45
- Jesus came as light to a dark world. v. 46
- Jesus came to save the world not to judge it. vv. 47-48
- Jesus came to reveal what the Father wanted us to hear. vv. 49-50
Not everyone who encountered the ministry of Jesus believed, others who believed would not do so publicly. Jesus summarizes why He came and the impact it would have on our world forever.