Dr. Montia Setzler, Lead Pastor
July 17, 2016
Objections: Answers to the Most Common Objections to Christianity
People Are Basically Good
Romans 3:21-26 (all scripture – HCSB)
Common Objection: “I don’t think I’m a sinner. I’m not so bad.”
“No sin is small. No grain of sand is small in the mechanism of a watch.”
– Jeremy Taylor, bishop and theologian
- MAN BELIEVES THAT HE IS BASICALLY GOOD ENOUGH
Common thoughts among men:
- “The good that I do will outweigh the bad.”
The fool says in his heart, “God does not exist.” They are corrupt, and they do vile deeds. There is no one who does good. 2 God looks down from heaven on the human race to see if there is one who is wise, one who seeks God. 3 All have turned away; all alike have become corrupt. There is no one who does good, not even one.
- “If I do enough good works, I’ll get to go to heaven.”
For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift – 9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
- The story of the rich, young ruler – Mark 10:17–22 (HCSB)
- GOD DECLARES THAT WE ARE SINFUL AND OUR SIN SEPARATES US FROM HIM
There is certainly no righteous man on the earth who does good and never sins.
We all went astray like sheep; we all have turned to our own way; and the Lord has punished Him for the iniquity of us all.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- THE BIBLE REVEALS THAT GOD IS HOLY
- How can sinful man have fellowship with a holy God?
- How can we ever pay for all our sins?
- GOD MADE A PROVISION FOR US TO SPEND ETERNITY WITH HIM
They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Him as a propitiation through faith in His blood, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His restraint God passed over the sins previously committed. 26 God presented Him to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be righteous and declare righteous the one who has faith in Jesus.
- We are made righteous by His work, not our works. v 24
- Christ paid for our sins with His sinless life. v 25
2 Corinthians 5:21
He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
1 Peter 2:24
He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that, having died to sins, we might live for righteousness; you have been healed by His wounds.
- We receive eternal life by our faith, not by our goodness. v 26
For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift— 9 not from works, so that no one can boast.
Man thinks that if he can do enough good things for God that God will let him into heaven. Our sin is enough to keep us separated from God, but His love is enough to provide a way to heaven.