Dr. Montia Setzler, Senior Pastor
November 29, 2015
Series: Game Changer
Do You Believe in Miracles?!
Luke 1:26–38 (HCSB)
26 In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin engaged to a man named Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And the angel came to her and said, “Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you.” 29 But she was deeply troubled by this statement, wondering what kind of greeting this could be. 30 Then the angel told her: Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 Now listen: You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end. 34 Mary asked the angel, “How can this be, since I have not been intimate with a man?” 35 The angel replied to her: “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore, the holy One to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 And consider your relative Elizabeth—even she has conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called childless. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God.” 38 “I am the Lord’s slave,” said Mary. “May it be done to me according to your word.” Then the angel left her.
1. BELIEVE THAT GOD CAN DO ALL THINGS.
27 …to a virgin engaged to a man named Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.
- It is important to know that Mary was a virgin.
- While being pledged to Joseph, she kept herself pure and available to be used by God.
- Even as a young believer, Mary’s faith was already mature.
What are you asking God to do that only HE can do?
2. CHOOSE TO BE A PART OF GOD’S MISSION.
28 And the angel came to her and said, “Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”
- The angel proclaimed that Mary was the one.
- The angel declared that God was with Mary.
- The angel predicted five things about Mary’s Son. vv 32-33
- He will be great.
- He will be called the Son of the Most High.
- He will be given the throne of His father David.
- He will reign over the house of Jacob forever.
- His kingdom will never end.
What invitation are you hearing from God about joining Him?
3. HAVE ENOUGH COURAGE TO ACT.
- Mary dealt with the surprise of her condition.
- Mary handled the news of God’s plan for her.
- Mary did not doubt God’s plan, but asked for an explanation. v 34
- Mary’s pregnancy demonstrated the power of God.
- Mary’s courage was displayed with her obedience. v 38
What courageous next step must you take to act on God’s invitation?
God’s plan for the world was revealed to Mary that she would give birth to the Messiah. Her willingness to be available and obedientto God’s mission serves as a model for us today.